Dark Matter & Killjoys

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dark Matter & Killjoys

Figured it'd be OK to put them both in the same thread since they're sort of similar...

Dark Matter started last weekend and it has a strong Firefly vibe, but with a better equiped ship.

Killjoys starts next weekend (after Dark Matter) and is about bounty hunters in space.
    Sucker for Stucky.

I liked Dark Matter. It was very Firefly-like, right down to the mechanic's outfit. I hope they tone down the guy with the giant gun. It's okay to be selfish and ready for a fight and all, but he could do it while being less obnoxious. I'm wondering how they ended up with the mechanic. She wasn't listed at the end with the others. Is she related to one of the others or was the Android unable to recover her data?

Two of the main cast are from other Canadian imports on Syfy: Lauren from Lost Girl and Travis from Continuum.

Facebook | Dragon Cave Scroll | Goodreads | Ravelry
    You would not believe your eyes
    If ten million Fireflies
    Lit up the world as I fell asleep
    Cuz they fill the open air
    And leave teardrops everywhere
    You'd think me rude
    But I would just stand and stare

~ Owl City - Fireflies

Comment

The obnoxious one with the big gun was on Lost Girl for a short time too. He played the loki Ryan. And he was on The Listener for the first and last season. (They're airing reruns on the ION channel in the US now.)

ETA: I have theories that the mechanic is the one that wiped everyone's memories, that she wanted to give everyone a second chance. Or she's more than she seems, like the one character on Andromeda actually being a star... Or "One" the first guy that was woken up is the one who did it and planted himself in the crew, maybe taking the mechanic's place in the data banks, so they'd be tricked into helping the miners. (People that work in a mine, not youngsters...)
      Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

There could be a plant. I hadn't thought of that angle. I did think maybe they did this to themselves because they wanted a fresh start. I also want to know why the Android wanted to kill them all when she first woke up.

(Youngsters are minors. )

If ten million Fireflies
        You'd think me rude

~ Owl City - Fireflies

Comment

What are youngsters that work in a mine?

So many possibilities. As far as mysteries to tantalize the audience, this is a good one, IMO.

ETA: As for the Android, maybe her defaul mode is to protect the ship and since her memory banks were cleared to anyone she saw registered as unwanted? But I'm sure the short answer is just because it was funny.
          Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

Finally saw Killjoys. It's basically if Inara and the Operative had a baby girl and she took a job with the companies that seem to run everything as a bounty hunter. But she's not psychotic like Jubal Early. In fact the complete opposite. And now she has a pair of brothers, who are estranged, as her partners. The budget seems small but they do a lot with it and I liked it.
            Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

I loved Killjoys. Everyone online seems to compare it to Firefly but, for me, it's Dark Matter that seems to be the Firefly copy, right down to the Kaylee/River girl's outfit.

If ten million Fireflies
              You'd think me rude

~ Owl City - Fireflies

Comment

Agreed. The only Firefly vibes I got (and this didn't start with Firefly, they just excelled at it) was the big corps vs little people subtext. Well...text. Not so much sub. But none of the characters were substitutes for the Serenity crew, unlike Dark Matter which had a River/Kaylee & Jayne.

Someone on tumblr mentioned a friend calling both shows the babies of Firefly. I get what they mean. One though feels a bit like d?j? vu & the other an outgrowth. (With a much smaller budget.) (Much much smaller.)
                Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

Saw the second episode of Killjoys and third of Dark Matter. I think I like Killjoys better. But they mystery on Dark Matter is deepening and I hope it's leading to something good.
                  Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

I love Killjoys. Dark Matter is good but that Jayne character is getting on my nerves. He has no redeeming qualities whatsoever.

If ten million Fireflies
                    You'd think me rude

~ Owl City - Fireflies

Comment

I did like the one moment from (I think) episode two when One gave him a hard time about some joke and he pointed out his humor is a defense mechanism. So at least he knows he's a jackass.

Someone mentioned that they cancelled Lost Girl just to make Dark Matter and are banking on Lauren fans to follow Zoie Palmer to the new show. IT's a logical move. Lost Girl's ratings were going down and the guys who wrote the Dark Matter comic worked on Stargate, which for a while had great ratings...
                      Last edited by NYPinTA; 06-30-2015, 03:53 PM.
                      Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

Last night:
                        Killjoys was a bizzaro world version of Heart of Gold and Dark Matter was their version of Bushwhacked. But I feel like the characters on Killjoys are actual individuals that I like watching and am interested in finding out their stories but so far on Dark Matter they still feel like plot points. Although the forced buddy relationship of One and Three amuses me. However, on both, they ended with potential to go in very interesting directions and finally shake off feeling like an extension of something else.
                        Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

Killjoys! On tonight! (I like that one. Want a t-shirt with the Jacobis family crest and their motto, "Don't plow our sister." on it...
                          Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

I love Lucy on Killjoys. Can't open the airlock even though Dutch is in crippling pain but "Johnny's in trouble" and she opens it immediately.

Also when Dutch complains about decontamination showers: "It's not my fault you're filthy." :lol:

If ten million Fireflies
                            You'd think me rude

~ Owl City - Fireflies

Comment

Lucy is moving up the list of favorite ships...

That was a super creepy episode. But then it got good... right around the time that Johnny revealed his steadfast and unshakable faith in both Dutch (and her strength) and D'avin, despite what he said in the interrogation chamber.
                              Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

Working...
                              X