No announcement yet.

Tell us about your COVID-19 experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I got coronavirus at the end of March and was unable to go back to work until April 20th. The next day 80+% of support staff were laid off.

I had had a mild chronic cough for several years before I got sick and it resumed after. I was trying a guided 5K training thing and my cough was killing that, but finally in mid May I could run a fair distance without coughing my lungs out. I’m so glad to see the end of that cough!

I went back to work around June 8th. I’m busy all day everyday but that’s more due to being trained on a new procedure so I’m slow at that, tho getting faster. I was one of two brought back and then a week ago they brought back two more. We have 2-1/2 left still laid off and my boss thinks it’ll be the end of July, early August before the various depts allow her to bring them back. We’ve all got our fingers crossed that they can come back before the extra federal unemployment goes away.

I’m the only person I know personally who got sick. You’d think the number would be higher since I work in a hospital, but my dept has very little clinical contact. They mostly have working relationships with surgeons and oncologists, not much contact with internists or infectious disease doctors.

Michigan is just opening local cultural attractions and Royal Oak library is in the first week of a 4- to 6-week phased plan to reopen which seems a little paranoid to me but then I’m the one who doesn’t have to worry about getting sick. Also, we’ve just started a 10-day trend of temps in the mid 90s. So things are pretty boring with so little to do. Running is limited due to heat and bcuz I tweaked a knee (already better) then tweaked both of my calves.

All of my issues are small ones thank goodness but that doesn’t stop me from whining. I hope all y’all stay well and are fully back to work (if you want) soon, or starting the process of retiring bcuz you just can’t take it anymore.

Comment

People are starting to get paranoid about the variants. We were almost mask free for a while but as Delta spread and Delta Plus emerged, I’m back to wearing masks most places. At work I can take it off in my immediate work area but as soon as we leave the office masks are mandatory.

I’m wondering what the next mutation will be called. Echo? Will it skip a letter or two again? Golf would be free advertising for the golfing industry and Hotel for the hospitality industry. I kinda like India but the GOP would probably blame India for it and invade.

Comment

My boss is an anti-mask antivaxxer, so I never stopped wearing my mask at work purely to annoy her. In the winter we were required to wear a KN-95 or be doubled masked. I couldn't stand the KN-95 for 8 hours. I tried. I really did. I wore the double mask: surgical mask under a reusable cotton one. In the spring we were mask free for a while, then it was masks if you weren't vaccinated and currently it's masks unless we're at our work stations. My boss has slowly been annexing more and more of the office to count as her "work station". So far she's spread from her office to the front desk, copier, women's rest room and break room. She still wears a mask when she comes to my cubicle because she knows I loudly ask "WHERE IS YOUR MASK, [BOSS'S NAME]?!" when she comes near me without it and our CEO will hear.

I spend my WFO days listening to constant complaints about her inability to breathe in a mask, how she's being singled out and discriminated against for not being vaccinated, how sick and tired she is of "the COVID excuse" and how pissed off she currently is that Canada won't let her in to buy alcohol.

I was vaccinated in February/March along with the rest of my family. Currently annoyed that Walgreens doesn't over a digital vaccination card I can save to my phone.

Thankfully, Cabri remains the only person I know who has gotten COVID.

Originally posted by cabr1729 View Post
        I'm wondering what the next mutation will be called. Echo? Will it skip a letter or two again? Golf would be free advertising for the golfing industry and Hotel for the hospitality industry. I kinda like India but the GOP would probably blame India for it and invade.
        We're learning the Greek alphabet! So far we've had Alpha, Beta, Gamma, Delta, Eta, Iota, Kappa and Lambda. Lambda is the next one to worry about.

Facebook | Dragon Cave Scroll | Goodreads | Ravelry
        You would not believe your eyes
        If ten million Fireflies
        Lit up the world as I fell asleep
        Cuz they fill the open air
        And leave teardrops everywhere
        You'd think me rude
        But I would just stand and stare

~ Owl City - Fireflies

Comment

So now it is Omicron! Last time around I knew people only a couple of people who had it.. And I know one woman who has had Long-Covid for almost 2 years now. But this time around, it is a lot closer. I know more people who have it. or have had it. I went for Christmas eve dinner at neighbours and everyone took a rapid antigen test before hand. And we could only do that because the neighbours have kids in school and they were sent home with tests. Now it is impossible to find any, so I'll be staying home again....
          Last edited by Lioness; 12-25-2021, 10:57 PM.
          "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian will bring you the right one." Neil Gaiman

Comment

Back during vaccination I stumbled upon an interesting study suggesting that people who had COVID before getting vaccinated had worse side effects on their first shot, while those who hadn’t had COVID felt worse side effects on their second shot. The idea apparently is that one’s first exposure either to virus or vaccine was like your immune system’s introduction and then your second exposure was when your immune system goes, “There’s that thing!” Based on that premise, I suspect I had COVID prior to vaccination as I had hellacious fatigue for five days after my first shot and basically nothing after my second.

Comment

That's an interesting idea. I could see it. I have recently had the shingles shots and was much worse after the second one, which I guess is standard. Supports the study!
              "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian will bring you the right one." Neil Gaiman

Comment

Working...
              X