Podcasts

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Podcasts

I have a friend who is looking for new podcasts. Any you love?
    Love. You can learn all the math in the 'verse, but you take a boat in the air you don't love, she'll shake you off just as sure as the turning of worlds. Love keeps her in the air when she oughta fall down, tells you she's hurting 'fore she keens. Makes her a home.
    DragonCave

It’s a little late for your friend, but I listen to about 40 different podcasts, though I’m about 6 months behind cuz I keep adding more. Let me know if you still want recommendations.

Comment

Recommendations welcome! I am self isolating and the sound of other voices would be nice.
      "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian will bring you the right one." Neil Gaiman

Comment

* means I'm not sure if the early episodes are available for free or at all.
        1. Radio Free Skaro is your typical middle-aged white men podcast but it's Doctor Who! And they're considered one of the top DW podcasts. (I agree.) They started way back in 2006 and I started listening in 2008. The first year was a little rough but well worth it and it's just gotten better. *
        2. Pop Culture Happy Hour is an NPR podcast with various hosts but nearly always includes Linda Holmes so a little bit of estrogen to temper the testosterone. They discuss various aspects of pop culture but their most popular single segment is "What is making me happy today".
        3. RadioLab is a WNYC podcast that explores mostly science-based stuff but sometimes gets into more philosophical pursuits. *
        4. If you're from Michigan, or anywhere, A Healthier Michigan is a podcast produced by BC/BS and hosted by popular meteorologist Chuck Gaidica. His cohosts tend to be women who are nutritional, fitness, and community health professionals. Lots of good advice.
        5. Grammar Girl is the long-running podcast of Mignon Fogarty with 10-15 minute episodes on grammar. She also has a book, "Grammar Girl's Quick and Dirty Tips for Better Writing". *
        6. I'm sure most of you have heard of 99% Invisible, a fascinating podcast on design, architecture, living. Roman Mars started it in 2010 as a ~10-minute radio show on the local Bay Area public radio station that he produced in his bedroom. It gradually expanded to 30 minutes and in 2013, after he tripled his kickstarter goal, he hired a producer. The next year he asked for $150k to produce weekly episodes and fans sent him $375k. I personally love his mini-eps from his first couple years, and the eps since aren't bad either. *
        7. There are a lot of funny game podcasts out there but the granddaddy of them all is NPR's Wait Wait Don't Tell Me, which is both radio show and podcast still. An amusing way to catch up on the week's news. *
        8. Song of the day podcasts: I listen to three of them just to get some new music into my head. They are KEXP out of Seattle; KCMP - The Current in Mpls; and KUTX in Austin. All have their own brand of playlist but they all ensure I listen to things I've never heard before. *
        9. The Economist Radio is a single podcast with multiple genres under The Economist banner. Lots of Brit domestic and international news in depth, with interviews and correspondents and so forth. As far as I can tell there is no way to receive only certain types of broadcasts (like all the tech ones but not the daily morning ones), but you can also just skip them. The Economist tends to be moderately liberal. *
        10. The acclaimed entertainment journalist Kim Masters is the draw in The Business, a podcast from THR covering the Hollywood Industrial Complex. Mostly interviews, but each episode starts with a look at the week's Hollywood news. *
        11. If you love diving into books or comics or series or movies with complex SF or F world-building, you may enjoy Imaginary Worlds from Eric Molinsky, a public radio reporter/producer.
        12. TV's Top 5 Podcast comes to you from THR's Daniel Fienstein and THR TV editor Lesley Goldberg. Lots of entertainment news, some analysis, and I'm sure by now screams of anguish at the shortage of Dodgers games this spring (that's mostly Lesley).
        More to come.

Comment

Thank you. This is great.
          "Google can bring you back 100,000 answers. A librarian will bring you the right one." Neil Gaiman

Comment

I like Planetary Radio and the NASA podcasts. And I should plug Gobbledygeek since I'm on a few episodes...
            Sucker for Stucky.

Comment

Yeah, I listen to “Houston We Have A Podcast” and “Gravity Assist”.

Comment

1. Answer Me This is a monthly Brit podcast started way back when starring Helen Zaltzman and Olly Man. Very much in the vein of “ask us something and we’ll make fun of you” but they do their best to research each question. Lots of their ‘casts are behind a paywall but there are plenty available for free. Helen also runs The Allusionist, an English grammar-ish podcast, pretty wide-ranging.
                2. The History of English Podcast starts with Indo-European and is heading into the Lancastrian age. This is also a great English history podcast, much better than some of the straight history ones I’ve found. *
                3. Science by AAAS is a combination of your standard science mag and a peer-reviewed journal. AAAS stands for American Association for the Advancement of Science. They usually have a couple of science topics, a book review, and maybe something from one of their columns. It can be a bit dry at times. * A little bit more fun is
                4. Naked Scientists which has the advantage of many Brit accents. It also has games, a question of the week, and a wealth of subtopics to round out the coverage as needed. *
                5. Freakonomics Radio is hosted by one of the authors of the book. I haven’t read the book but the podcast has stories on how economics pops up in our daily lives and in the workings of the world. Some of them are a little dry but mostly it’s pretty interesting. *
                6. The Memory Palace is the brainchild of Nate DiMeo, an award-winning NPR producer, whose goal is to create a living, breathing world in under 10 minutes. He mostly succeeds too.
                More to come...
                Last edited by cabr1729; 07-14-2020, 12:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X